Previous Posts

Thursday, October 6, 2011

As of lately. . .

I haven't written in a while. Things have been so crazy around here and adjusting to this new life has been rough to say the least. Allow me to sum up the past two months for y'all.

August 20 was the day of my marriage to Jason Farris in the Salt Lake Temple. You know how everyone says that this day is supposed to be the happiest day of your life? Right. . . I'm not sure I agree. Not because I wasn't exceedingly happy that day- It was beautiful. I woke up before 6 am to shower before the girl who was doing my hair and make up showed up at my sister's house. I had hardly slept the night before. However, I awoke and found myself bright and full of energy. Oh, and the girl who did my hair/make up was fab! I couldn't ask for a better girl!

The temple was great and being with family and friends and everyone I love was amazing andemotion was overwhelming. Yes, happiness was abundant, but the amount of stress during that day as well as the week prior to the wedding seemed to go hand in hand with our special day. We ended up being almost an hour late to our luncheon after the wedding because we were taking so many pictures on Temple Square. Jason made a beautiful speech as the 80+ people in attendance tucked into their pasta and salad.

The reception was beautiful too. I loved seeing old friends and extended family. The shaking of hands, the standing, and the plastered smile on our faces did become tiresome, however. We didn't get to eat very much of the food that was served, as it was nearly depleted by the time we got to it, and the one bite of wedding cake we had was not very appreciated as it happened during the cutting of the cake ceremony. And no, we did not shove cake in each other's faces. I attempted to, but failed miserably as Jason ducked out of my way.

When we finally made it to the hotel we stayed in in Salt Lake for the night, we had only 4 or 5 hours to sleep before we had to wake up and drive to the airport. We made it all the way to Miami when we were told that our flight had been cancelled due to a hurricane. We spent the next two nights in Miami without our luggage, waiting on standby until we finally made it to our honeymoon destination on Tuesday. You can imagine my distress at not having my bags. We had a couple changes of clothing in our carry on, but no make up and no hair-doing essentials. I was relieved when we were told we would make standby, but when we made it to St. Maarten, I was told that my bag was STILL in Miami. To make a long story short, I went all natural for QUITE a long time. Something I'm not particularly fond of.

St.Maarten ended up being fabulous! It was so beautiful. I have never spent much time on the beach, but this place made me truly appreciate it and learn to love it. I wore a bikini during the entire trip. This was big for me, since I am extremely self conscious of my body. Seeing other women in equally revealing swim suits made me feel even more self conscious and large at times, but soon I got used to it and it was actually pretty comfortable. And yes, there were several topless women around. Not a big deal over there, apparently. It was pretty funny to us. And gross.

Oh, and our sunburns were disgusting. I've never seen so much dead skin fall off. SICK.

Anyway, now we are up here in Seattle area. I'm going to school at the UW, trying to make it work, but it is proving to be really hard. I have been accepted to the Music Education program, but they are making it really hard to have my credits transferred. As of now, if I choose to continue, it will take me three years to graduate. I was hoping for two. They are making me repeat some stuff. UW standards are much higher than ISU's. On the bright side, I made it into the top choir. They are so good. I have never heard a better tenor section.

There is no dress code for voice lessons, which is weird for me, but I like it. I really like my voice teacher, Dr. Wyers. She is such an intelligent person and I find her to be very kind and sincere.

I really do miss ISU, though. I miss having friends. I miss knowing my classmates and teachers. I miss being able to walk to class from my front door. My commute to school is now a 45 minute-1 hour bus ride into Seattle, and a 45 minute-1 hour bus ride home. I miss a lot of things, but I am happy I married Jason. He is such a good guy. He always puts me first and tries so very hard to make me happy.

Things will get better with this school issue. I will figure out what I want to do soon. Another blog will follow shortly, I imagine. This was a long one. Oy. I don't blame you if you don't read it all.

Oh, and it always rains here. It's no joke about Seattle and never seeing the sun. I miss the sunshine. Lots.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Rosalie, I have to say that a big part of me is relieved to hear that things were just as stressful for you guys as they were for Dustin and I. I agree that the day of our wedding was beautiful, full of emotion and love, but it was indeed stressful. All the stress leading up to it and that day caused me to come down with the worst cold I have had in a long time. Right near the end of our reception my throat was sore and I was so tired (having only gotten about 2.5 hours of sleep myself) that I instantly knew it was only gonna get worse from there.

    We didn't get to go on a honeymoon (yet), due to not having jobs and therefore no money. But things have slowly been moving forward since then. I do know that despite all the stress, the three week cold and the countless other health issues that popped up since my wedding, I am still so blessed to have met and married Dustin.

    Despite life's struggles, it seems that we both held out for what Heavenly Father wanted for us. We both married wonderful men, and as we continue to get used to married life, we will be able to meet new friends, get accustomed to the changes, and find joy in these new struggles :)

    I certainly wouldn't want to go back to the struggles I had as a single woman, that's for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete