Previous Posts

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Future holds....what?

I was given some pretty disheartening news yesterday. I did not get into the University of Washington.

My biggest question: Why?

I have a good GPA. I've never failed a class. I am a good student. I have proven myself to be a dedicated student in more than one way. I don't think there is anything on my transcript that would cause alarm to some one in the Admissions office.

So, why?

I don't have the answer. Yet. I'm planning on contacting the school and figuring out what went wrong and what I can do the next time I apply to change this outcome.

So, for the first time in my life I have no school to look forward to in the Fall. When I received this information (via telephone with a counselor), my emotions were slightly out of control. I was devastated. Rejection like that hurts in a major way, especially since I had already received admission to a private college in Seattle that is 3 times as expensive (which, sadly is not an option simply because of the amount of money it would cost). However, the first thought that entered my mind was that this could be a good thing.

You may be thinking, "Is she crazy?"

No. I'm not crazy. Just learning to see the positive side of this outcome. I actually feel rather relieved about the whole situation. Which freaks me out. I didn't expect to feel relief about not getting what I wanted.

I am getting married. That is the decision I have made for my life and what I feel I'm supposed to do in a religious sense as well as for the happiness of myself. By deciding to marry Jason, I also decided that I would be leaving ISU. I knew I was taking a risk. My plan has always been to finish college. To get that Bachelor's Degree at the very least. I still plan on doing this. I'm not one of those Mormon girls that gets married and immediately gets pregnant and drops out of college. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I mean, really, who are we to judge people who make that kind of a decision? Do what makes you happy and do it for the right reasons. On the other hand, if something went wrong with our plan, and I ended up pregnant, I would most definitely choose to stay home with the baby.

Anyway, so you all know, this is definitely NOT my plan. Not that I don't want children some day. I just want to finish college first and feel ready for the job of motherhood.

As I was saying, there are some positives to not getting into UW. It will give me time to settle into living in a new place. It will give me time to adjust to being married and living with a new person. We will be able to plan and get financially ready to pay for school when I attend again. I will have time to prepare and get vocally ready for auditions. And to address my religious beliefs, maybe this is the way Heavenly Father wants it to be right now. I feel comfort and I feel like everything will work out the way it should as long as I keep doing what is right for me and Jason.

Overall, I'm bummed. But I am not giving up and I am planning to continue pursuing an education. It may take me a little longer than I wanted, but I'm ok with that.






P.s. I'm still really happy to be getting married. This news hasn't put a damper on that aspect of my life. Can't wait for August 20, 2011 :)

3 comments:

  1. :( i'm sorry that happened. Woof. But it sounds like you're keeping positive. Good for you. Cant wait to see you soooooon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that Rose but I am glad that you are still happy about the whole situation! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to stay positive. Any change is hard (the good and exciting and the bad and the scary) so keep doing what youre doing because youre dealing with it a million times better than i am. I chose to switch schools and im hoping school just decides to not start... Ever. Rolling with the punches is something i could never do so i commend you for being able too. Its a wonderful attribute.

    And im sorry about UW... If it means anything... A friend from highschool went there and she barely passes her classes (i think failed at least one.. GenerL related) and she was a pretty strAight A student... And shes not a party popper. Talk about stressful!

    Miss you! Wish you the best for your future!

    ReplyDelete