Previous Posts

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Biggest Fear

I had this ridiculous dream last night.

There was this big choir and orchestra production going on in Jensen Hall- which happens more often than you'd think in Pocatello. We were all singing something big in German. Only the stage was set up so differently. Some how, it got bigger. There were twice as many students in the choir than usual in addition to Camerata Singers.

I had a personal solo in the middle of this gigantic performance. I walked out on stage to Tammy Miller at the piano and a chamber orchestra in the corner of the stage. I sang "Gia il sole dal gange" by Scarlatti. Random. This piece is generally given to Freshman at ISU and frankly, I dislike it.

I started singing and I didn't even know the words. I sounded like a twelve year old, forgot all my words, and ran off stage crying. The crowd started demanding my return to the stage, so I went back out and sucked again, only to repeat the previous dramatic display of tears.

Perhaps this dream is a recalling of my terrible jury experience at the end of last semester. A similiar situation. I forgot my words to my French Art Song and cried in front of the vocal staff. Can you say awesome? I sure can. Regardless of my memory slip, I still got an A and everything worked out.

In the performance world, forgetting my text is my biggest fear.

3 comments:

  1. i completely understand. Forgetting foreign text is the biggest nightmare, I just can't make it up like I could with english. :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you say the crowd demanded your return, that's always an upper :) There was no booing xP

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have these dreams all the time! Nothing is worse! Have you ever had one of the faculty tell you to just make up the words if you forget a foreign text? Ugh.. yeah right.

    ReplyDelete